Moving? Here’s What to Do about Your Car Insurance

Moving around the corner or to a street closer to a better school district is stressful enough. There are the boxes to sort, addresses to change and new bedrooms to assign.

But when you move out of state, do you have to change your car insurance? The short answer is it depends.

If you have any doubts about what your car insurance coverage entails, the best thing to do is call us and ask any nagging questions you may have. But we can also help you figure out where to start.

Not only can different states have some slightly different laws when it comes to the road, but some also require an increased level of coverage.

Your new state might have lower coverage limit requirements, but that also means you’re increasing your risk. Think carefully if you decide to do this.

If you’re moving to what’s called a no-fault state, you’ll have to check to see if your insurance policy covers this.

No-fault insurance means that all medical bills, funeral bills and income losses due to a car accident are covered no matter which side caused it.

There are 18 states that require no-fault insurance, including New York, Oregon and Washington.

You’ll also need to register your vehicle in a new state once you move. Make it a priority so you don’t get caught out on the road.

If you’re having trouble figuring out what you need, call us. We’re the experts, and we can help you find the best policy for you.