Here’s What to Do when There’s a Grease Fire

Have you ever had to battle a grease fire? Here’s what to do if you accidentally cause one.

The first thing you need to know is do not throw water on it. It will only make it worse. Instead, the National Fire Protection Association recommends smothering a grease fire. If you’re using a skillet, carefully slide a lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Make sure everything cools down completely before removing the lid. The fire may spark back up if you take off the lid too soon.

Make sure if you use a fire extinguisher for your grease fire that it is the right type, Class B or ABC. The wrong type can actually spread the flames. If you have any doubt about what to do or what to use, make sure you call 911 immediately.

If you like to cook, then it’s also a good idea to make sure you have a working fire alarm and carbon monoxide detector and that the batteries are working. If your carbon monoxide detector does beep, open all the windows, leave the property and then call 911. The fire department will be able to assist you from there.

If the grease fire does any lasting damage to your home, you may have to call your insurance provider. Make sure that all your documents are up to date and in easy reach.

If you’re unsure whether your insurance covers grease fire damage, call or email us. We are always happy to assist you.